-   -   Is it possible to create a limiting value for a summation? (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-worksheet-functions/7736-possible-create-limiting-value-summation.html)

TechieRob

Is it possible to create a limiting value for a summation?

I am trying to create a "simple" sum equation that will not pass a designated
value

I know the general equation =sum(a1:a10) (for example) but for billing
purposes I do not want this value to pass a "capped" amount.

So say if the sum of a1:a10 is 100 and the limit is 100, it just shows 100

Whereas if the sum of a1:a10 is 120 and the limit is 100 it still only shows
100

Is there a simple solution to this?

Peo Sjoblom

One way

=MIN(SUM(A1:A10),100)

Peo Sjoblom

"TechieRob" wrote in message
I am trying to create a "simple" sum equation that will not pass a
designated
value

I know the general equation =sum(a1:a10) (for example) but for billing
purposes I do not want this value to pass a "capped" amount.

So say if the sum of a1:a10 is 100 and the limit is 100, it just shows 100

Whereas if the sum of a1:a10 is 120 and the limit is 100 it still only
shows
100

Is there a simple solution to this?

TechieRob

One of my favorite proverbs is

"the best solution is the simplest solutions"

Thats extremely helpful

Thanks :)

"Peo Sjoblom" wrote:

One way

=MIN(SUM(A1:A10),100)

Peo Sjoblom

"TechieRob" wrote in message
I am trying to create a "simple" sum equation that will not pass a
designated
value

I know the general equation =sum(a1:a10) (for example) but for billing
purposes I do not want this value to pass a "capped" amount.

So say if the sum of a1:a10 is 100 and the limit is 100, it just shows 100

Whereas if the sum of a1:a10 is 120 and the limit is 100 it still only
shows
100

Is there a simple solution to this?

Duncan, UK

I am trying to do a similar, but capping a cell that I use for discounts
eg the cell could read 35%, but I only want a max of 30% on some products
But the formula below doesn't seem to work if the cell is formatted as a
percentage, is there an answer to this?

Thanks

"Peo Sjoblom" wrote:

One way