-   -   Standard Deviation (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-worksheet-functions/76731-standard-deviation.html)

Stan Banner

Standard Deviation

Hi:
I have tried to use STDEV() to find the Standard Deviation of a large range
of cells that contains many blanks, assuming that the blanks would be
ignored, however, I have found that the blanks were given the value of 0. I
tested this by trying to find the Standard Deviation of a range of blank
cells and every cell was given the value of 0. I must be doing something
wrong but I don't know what it is.
I hope that someone can help me out here.
Thanks

Stan

Peo Sjoblom

Standard Deviation

STDEV ignores blank cells, logical values or text so maybe some of your
numbers are text if you don't get what you expect,also how did you test a
blank range, STDEV needs 2 numbers or else it will return a #DIV/0! error?
Are you using some custom format that doesn't display zeros or have you
linked to blank cells (that will always return zero)

Peo Sjoblom

Northwest Excel Solutions

www.nwexcelsolutions.com

(remove ^^ from email address)