-   -   How do I create a dropdown list using data from a different workbo (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-worksheet-functions/75445-how-do-i-create-dropdown-list-using-data-different-workbo.html)

VFPguruExcelNovice

How do I create a dropdown list using data from a different workbo

I'm using Excel 2003, and have used the on-line help, have followed the
instructions clearly. Yet at the end of it all Excel states that I'm unable
to use validation against data from other workbooks, yet I have followed the
instructions under the online help: Create a drop-down list from a range of
cells. I can create a drop-down list using data from the same worksheet,
HELP!!

JudithJubilee

How do I create a dropdown list using data from a different workbo

Hello VFPguruExcelNovice,

Try this step-by-step tutorial:

I have 2003 and follow this works for me.

Post back if you are still having difficulties!

Judith

--
Hope this helps

"VFPguruExcelNovice" wrote:

I'm using Excel 2003, and have used the on-line help, have followed the
instructions clearly. Yet at the end of it all Excel states that I'm unable
to use validation against data from other workbooks, yet I have followed the
instructions under the online help: Create a drop-down list from a range of
cells. I can create a drop-down list using data from the same worksheet,
HELP!!

Bob Phillips

How do I create a dropdown list using data from a different workbo

If the data is on another worksheet in the same workbook, you have to give
the target range a name (InsertNameDefine...) and use that. In another
workbook, not possible I think.

--
HTH

Bob Phillips

"VFPguruExcelNovice" wrote:

I'm using Excel 2003, and have used the on-line help, have followed the
instructions clearly. Yet at the end of it all Excel states that I'm

unable
to use validation against data from other workbooks, yet I have followed

the
instructions under the online help: Create a drop-down list from a range

of
cells. I can create a drop-down list using data from the same worksheet,
HELP!!

VFPguruExcelNovice

How do I create a dropdown list using data from a different workbo

Thankyou!

"VFPguruExcelNovice" wrote:

I'm using Excel 2003, and have used the on-line help, have followed the
instructions clearly. Yet at the end of it all Excel states that I'm unable
to use validation against data from other workbooks, yet I have followed the
instructions under the online help: Create a drop-down list from a range of
cells. I can create a drop-down list using data from the same worksheet,
HELP!!

Biff

How do I create a dropdown list using data from a different workbo

In another workbook, not possible I think.

Possible, but not worth the trouble.

You'd have to create the defined name in the target file and the source file
has to open.

Easier just to create the source in the current file.

Biff