-   -   Naming column in Index Function (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-worksheet-functions/7533-naming-column-index-function.html)

mlkpied

Naming column in Index Function

I use the index function with INDEX(Personnel!A$1:$I$71,I78,9). When I insert
a column in the array the column I am looking for is now 10 instead of 9. The
column name in the Personnel worksheet is PreFund. Can I change the index
function column parameter so that if I insert a column it will still
reference the correct column? Thanks. Michael

Frank Kabel

Hi
see your other post. If you have a question to the ideas/solutions
presented best to post a follow-up question :-)

--
Regards
Frank Kabel

"mlkpied" schrieb im Newsbeitrag
I use the index function with INDEX(Personnel!A$1:$I$71,I78,9). When

I insert
a column in the array the column I am looking for is now 10 instead

of 9. The
column name in the Personnel worksheet is PreFund. Can I change the

function column parameter so that if I insert a column it will still
reference the correct column? Thanks. Michael

JE McGimpsey

One way:

=INDEX($I$1:I$71,I78)

Another:

=INDEX($A$1:$I$71, I78, COLUMN($I$1))

In article ,
"mlkpied" wrote:

I use the index function with INDEX(Personnel!A$1:$I$71,I78,9). When I insert
a column in the array the column I am looking for is now 10 instead of 9. The
column name in the Personnel worksheet is PreFund. Can I change the index
function column parameter so that if I insert a column it will still
reference the correct column? Thanks. Michael

hrlngrv - ExcelForums.com

JE McGimpsey wrote...
Another:

=INDEX($A$1:$I$71, I78, COLUMN($I$1))

Depends on the range starting in column A. More robust to use

=INDEX($A$1:$I$71, I78, COLUMNS($A$1:$I$71))

to ensure referencing the rightmost column.
---------
www.coffeecozy.com

Use your Bodum and give up cold coffee for good!