-   -   How can I look up two seperate values/cells and return the value . (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-worksheet-functions/7523-how-can-i-look-up-two-seperate-values-cells-return-value.html)

Barbara

How can I look up two seperate values/cells and return the value .

I would like to do two VLOOKUP type functions and have it return the value in
the third column. For instance, if I have an array something like this:

Purple Grape 5
Green Grape 9
Orange Lemon 2

In the spreadsheet I have:

A B C
Purple Grape ?

I would like to say if A and B match then give me C.

Thanks

Peo Sjoblom

One way

=INDEX(C2:C2000,MATCH(1,(A2:A2000="Purple")*(B2:B2 000="Grape"),0))

entered with ctrl + shift & enter

you should replace the criteria with cells (replace Grape and Purple woith 2
cells where you type the criteria, that way you don't have to edit the
formula when you want to change lookup values)

Regards,

Peo Sjoblom

"Barbara" wrote:

I would like to do two VLOOKUP type functions and have it return the value in
the third column. For instance, if I have an array something like this:

Purple Grape 5
Green Grape 9
Orange Lemon 2

In the spreadsheet I have:

A B C
Purple Grape ?

I would like to say if A and B match then give me C.

Thanks

Dave R.

=INDEX(C1:C3,MATCH("purple",A1:A3,0),MATCH("grape" ,B1:B3,0))