-   -   How to count B if C=Bob (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-worksheet-functions/7398-how-count-b-if-c%3Dbob.html)

JohnT

How to count B if C=Bob

I have a spreadsheet with data in column B that I want to show in Column D if
column C = Bob
I tried COUNTIF but can't get it happening.
Thanks in advance!

Frank Kabel

Hi
try
=COUNTIF(B:B,"Bob")

--
Regards
Frank Kabel

"JohnT" schrieb im Newsbeitrag
I have a spreadsheet with data in column B that I want to show in

Column D if
column C = Bob
I tried COUNTIF but can't get it happening.
Thanks in advance!

JohnT

Sorry, I may be dense but how does that reference C?

"Frank Kabel" wrote:

Hi
try
=COUNTIF(B:B,"Bob")

--
Regards
Frank Kabel
Frankfurt, Germany

"JohnT" schrieb im Newsbeitrag
I have a spreadsheet with data in column B that I want to show in

Column D if
column C = Bob
I tried COUNTIF but can't get it happening.
Thanks in advance!

Frank Kabel

Hi
sorry, maybe I misunderstood you (would be better if you provide some
example data). But maybe in D1
=IF(C1="Bob",B1,"")
and copy down?

--
Regards
Frank Kabel
Frankfurt, Germany

"JohnT" schrieb im Newsbeitrag
Sorry, I may be dense but how does that reference C?

"Frank Kabel" wrote:

Hi
try
=COUNTIF(B:B,"Bob")

--
Regards
Frank Kabel
Frankfurt, Germany

"JohnT" schrieb im Newsbeitrag
I have a spreadsheet with data in column B that I want to show in

Column D if
column C = Bob
I tried COUNTIF but can't get it happening.
Thanks in advance!

JohnT

Thanks Frank!
I did =COUNTIF(B:C,"Bob") and that worked but I guess I didn't explain my
problem correctly. I need the total of the amounts entered in column B when
C=Bob not the number of entries. I tried SUMIF but that doesn't make sense...

"Frank Kabel" wrote:

Hi
try
=COUNTIF(B:B,"Bob")

--
Regards
Frank Kabel
Frankfurt, Germany

"JohnT" schrieb im Newsbeitrag
I have a spreadsheet with data in column B that I want to show in

Column D if
column C = Bob
I tried COUNTIF but can't get it happening.
Thanks in advance!

Frank Kabel

Hi
maybe
=SUMIF(C:C,"Bob",B:B)

--
Regards
Frank Kabel
Frankfurt, Germany

"JohnT" schrieb im Newsbeitrag
Thanks Frank!
I did =COUNTIF(B:C,"Bob") and that worked but I guess I didn't

explain my
problem correctly. I need the total of the amounts entered in column

B when
C=Bob not the number of entries. I tried SUMIF but that doesn't make

sense...

"Frank Kabel" wrote:

Hi
try
=COUNTIF(B:B,"Bob")

--
Regards
Frank Kabel
Frankfurt, Germany

"JohnT" schrieb im Newsbeitrag
I have a spreadsheet with data in column B that I want to show in

Column D if
column C = Bob
I tried COUNTIF but can't get it happening.
Thanks in advance!

JohnT

Thanks Frank. It worked like a charm!

"Frank Kabel" wrote:

Hi
maybe
=SUMIF(C:C,"Bob",B:B)

--
Regards
Frank Kabel
Frankfurt, Germany

"JohnT" schrieb im Newsbeitrag
Thanks Frank!
I did =COUNTIF(B:C,"Bob") and that worked but I guess I didn't

explain my
problem correctly. I need the total of the amounts entered in column

B when
C=Bob not the number of entries. I tried SUMIF but that doesn't make

sense...

"Frank Kabel" wrote:

Hi
try