-   -   Format a column wihtout using "Format-Cells-Number-category-etc" (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-worksheet-functions/73508-format-column-wihtout-using-format-cells-number-category-etc.html)

serve

Format a column wihtout using "Format-Cells-Number-category-etc"

I download data from JD Edwards into excel and do a vlookup with another
excel spreadsheet. Although I change the format of the column (I am doing a
vlookup) to match the column of the other spreadsheet (format-cell-text, or
whatever) it still does not match. I also tried Data-Text to
column-next-next-finish which sometime works. Although they are both set to
TEXT, it cant find it.

Is there a better way to match the format of columns I am comparing to text
(or number) or whatever, as long as they become perfectly the same.
Thanks.

CLR

Format a column wihtout using "Format-Cells-Number-category-etc"

The first thing I would do on imported data of difficulty, is to look at it
with Chip Pearson's nifty add-in called "CELLVIEW" (www.cpearson.com), to see
if there are any invisible characters there......and if there are, use "ASAP
Utilities" (www.asap-utilities.com) to get rid of them.

hth
Vaya con Dios,
Chuck, CABGx3

I could not find CELLVIEW in www.cpearson.com. and how do you use it?

"serve" wrote:

I download data from JD Edwards into excel and do a vlookup with another
excel spreadsheet. Although I change the format of the column (I am doing a
vlookup) to match the column of the other spreadsheet (format-cell-text, or
whatever) it still does not match. I also tried Data-Text to
column-next-next-finish which sometime works. Although they are both set to
TEXT, it cant find it.

Is there a better way to match the format of columns I am comparing to text
(or number) or whatever, as long as they become perfectly the same.
Thanks.

Dave Peterson

Format a column wihtout using "Format-Cells-Number-category-et

Chip Pearson has a very nice addin that will help determine what that
character(s) is:
http://www.cpearson.com/excel/CellView.htm

There are instuctions on that site.

--

Dave Peterson

CLR

Format a column wihtout using "Format-Cells-Number-category-et

Here's the direct addy......with instructions