-   -   Formulas appear in cell instead of formula result (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-worksheet-functions/7260-formulas-appear-cell-instead-formula-result.html)

tommcbrny

Formulas appear in cell instead of formula result

I am trying to combine data from multiple cells on one worksheet in a single
cell on a second worksheet using "concatenate". I enter
=CONCATENATE('IT Project Info'!C10,'IT Project Info'!C11,'IT Project
Info'!C12,'IT Project Info'!C13) in the target destination cell and hit
"enter".

The function statement stays in the cell, however, instead of the result. I
have tried concatenating information from cells on the same worksheet as a
test with the same result.

Thanks,

Tom

Frank Kabel

Hi
check the format of this cell ('Format - Cell'). If it is 'Text' change
the format to 'General' and re-enter your formula

--
Regards
Frank Kabel

"tommcbrny" schrieb im
Newsbeitrag ...
I am trying to combine data from multiple cells on one worksheet in a

single
cell on a second worksheet using "concatenate". I enter
=CONCATENATE('IT Project Info'!C10,'IT Project Info'!C11,'IT Project
Info'!C12,'IT Project Info'!C13) in the target destination cell and

hit
"enter".

The function statement stays in the cell, however, instead of the

result. I
have tried concatenating information from cells on the same worksheet

as a
test with the same result.

Thanks,

Tom

Andrea Blake

I never use CONCATENATE because it does funny things. Try using & instead:
='IT Project Info'!C10&'IT Project Info'!C11&'IT Project Info'!C12&'IT
Project Info'!C13
and see if you get better results. I'm pretty positive the ampersand will
concatenate regardless of the data type (even mixed types).
Good luck!

"tommcbrny" wrote:

I am trying to combine data from multiple cells on one worksheet in a single
cell on a second worksheet using "concatenate". I enter
=CONCATENATE('IT Project Info'!C10,'IT Project Info'!C11,'IT Project
Info'!C12,'IT Project Info'!C13) in the target destination cell and hit
"enter".

The function statement stays in the cell, however, instead of the result. I
have tried concatenating information from cells on the same worksheet as a
test with the same result.

Thanks,

Tom

Frank Kabel

Hi Andrea
there's no difference in the result if you use the ampersand or
CONCATENATE. Both should (and will) return the same thing.
Benefit of the apersand (IMHO):
- shorter
- don't uses a function level

--