-   -   Can no open workbook (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-worksheet-functions/7239-can-no-open-workbook.html)

tandem

Can no open workbook

I have a big problem with my xls workbook file: I forgot password I set up
and can no open file anymore. Its a file-level protection, so now I just
prompted enter password when I try open file.. There are some macro that can
solve problem and just remove protection, but I can no find the necessary
code.
I tried some code from Norman Harker and JE McGimpsey 27-Dec-2002 (Version
1.1) http://www.mcgimpsey.com/excel/removepwords.html
but it intended for removing password from open workbook only.(not fully
clear what 's the necessary to remove password from the workbook already
open)

thanks

Paul B

tandem,
Here is a post of resources by Norman Harker:
http://www.google.com/groups?threadm...GP12.phx .gbl
--
Paul B
Using Excel 2002 & 2003

"tandem" wrote in message
I have a big problem with my xls workbook file: I forgot password I set up
and can no open file anymore. Its a file-level protection, so now I just
prompted enter password when I try open file.. There are some macro that
can solve problem and just remove protection, but I can no find the
necessary code.
I tried some code from Norman Harker and JE McGimpsey 27-Dec-2002 (Version
1.1) http://www.mcgimpsey.com/excel/removepwords.html
but it intended for removing password from open workbook only.(not fully
clear what 's the necessary to remove password from the workbook already
open)

thanks

tandem

Paul,

thank you for links. However, I still not found there some excel macro
based solution, not the utility.

thanks,
tandem

"tandem" wrote in message
I have a big problem with my xls workbook file: I forgot password I set up
and can no open file anymore. Its a file-level protection, so now I just
prompted enter password when I try open file.. There are some macro that
can solve problem and just remove protection, but I can no find the
necessary code.
I tried some code from Norman Harker and JE McGimpsey 27-Dec-2002
(Version 1.1) http://www.mcgimpsey.com/excel/removepwords.html
but it intended for removing password from open workbook only.(not fully
clear what 's the necessary to remove password from the workbook already
open)

thanks

Paul B

I don't think this can be done with an excel macro
--
Paul B
Using Excel 2002 & 2003

"tandem" wrote in message
I have a big problem with my xls workbook file: I forgot password I set
up and can no open file anymore. Its a file-level protection, so now I
just prompted enter password when I try open file.. There are some macro
that can solve problem and just remove protection, but I can no find the
necessary code.
I tried some code from Norman Harker and JE McGimpsey 27-Dec-2002
(Version 1.1) http://www.mcgimpsey.com/excel/removepwords.html
but it intended for removing password from open workbook only.(not fully
clear what 's the necessary to remove password from the workbook already
open)

thanks

Gord Dibben

tandem

There are some macro that
can solve problem and just remove protection, but I can no find the
necessary code.

You cannot crack a File Open password using VBA

See J.E. McGimpsey's site for cracking File Open Passwords.

You need a third-party utility at least.

http://www.mcgimpsey.com/excel/fileandvbapwords.html

Gord Dibben Excel MVP