-   -   Naming a (date) constant (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-worksheet-functions/7183-naming-date-constant.html)

David

Naming a (date) constant

Greetings & TIA for your help
I can name a constant with Insert|Name|Define then type "MyConstant" and
type =500 in "Refers To".
How do I enter a date in the "refers to" box?
--
David

Frank Kabel

Hi
try for example
=DATE(2004,11,29)

"David" wrote:

Greetings & TIA for your help
I can name a constant with Insert|Name|Define then type "MyConstant" and
type =500 in "Refers To".
How do I enter a date in the "refers to" box?
--
David

Bob Phillips

or

=--("2004/11/29")

--

HTH

RP

"Frank Kabel" wrote in message
Hi
try for example
=DATE(2004,11,29)

"David" wrote:

Greetings & TIA for your help
I can name a constant with Insert|Name|Define then type "MyConstant" and
type =500 in "Refers To".
How do I enter a date in the "refers to" box?
--
David

JulieD

Hi Bob

(won't even ask how you came up with this one!) but what i will ask is using
both yours and Frank's method i'm getting the serial number returned in the
cell rather than a "date" ... i know its just a matter of formatting it, but
is there anyway when using a date in this way, for excel to "automatically"
format it correctly?

Cheers
JulieD

"Bob Phillips" wrote in message
or

=--("2004/11/29")

--

"David" wrote:

Greetings & TIA for your help
I can name a constant with Insert|Name|Define then type "MyConstant"
and
type =500 in "Refers To".
How do I enter a date in the "refers to" box?
--
David

Bob Phillips

Julie,

Not to keep it as a date, but you can use

=TEXT(--("2004/11/29"),"dd mmm yyyy")

which returns it as text, although you can do math on it

--

HTH

RP