clarkld

Default how do I add preceeding zeros

I am using office 2003. I would like to add zeros to the beginning of numbers.
For example: 12345 to 0012345.
Jason Morin

If you wish to simply format the numbers, go to Format
Cells Number Custom and use 0000000. Or you actually
convert them to text with:

=TEXT(A1,"0000000")

HTH
Jason
Atlanta, GA

I am using office 2003. I would like to add zeros to the

beginning of numbers.
For example: 12345 to 0012345.
.

Ronaldo

Am using office 2000, but try Format,cells - select text

Ronaldo

"clarkld" wrote in message
I am using office 2003. I would like to add zeros to the beginning of

numbers.
For example: 12345 to 0012345.

KL

If you want your number to remain a numeric value, you'll need to use cell
format: press Ctrl+1, select the Number Tab, choose CUSTOM from the
categories list and enter the following in the box called Type: 000000#

If it is OK for your number to become text, then use the TEXT() function.
E.g. if cell A1 contains 12345 the formula =TEXT(A1,"000000#") will return a
text string which will look like this 0012345. To convert it back to number
you can use the VALUE() function: =VALUE("0012345") will return 12345 as a
numeric value.

Hope this helps,
KL

"clarkld" wrote in message
I am using office 2003. I would like to add zeros to the beginning of
numbers.
For example: 12345 to 0012345.

PeterAtherton

Clark

Format, Cells, Number, Custom and enter 7zeros in the textbox

Peter Atherton