-   -   How can I ignore an #N/A value in a =SUM() formula? (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-worksheet-functions/71316-how-can-i-ignore-n-value-%3Dsum-formula.html)

JD

How can I ignore an #N/A value in a =SUM() formula?

I have a range of cells that I need to total. Problem is many of these cells
currently contain formulas that have an #N/A value in them because they are
included in a graph and I don't want to plot them until monthly data is
entered during the year.
How can I total the cells that have a numerical value and ignore those that
still have an #N/A ?

Ron Rosenfeld

On Mon, 13 Feb 2006 08:32:05 -0800, "JD" wrote:

I have a range of cells that I need to total. Problem is many of these cells
currently contain formulas that have an #N/A value in them because they are
included in a graph and I don't want to plot them until monthly data is
entered during the year.
How can I total the cells that have a numerical value and ignore those that
still have an #N/A ?

The **array** formula:

=SUM(IF(ISNUMBER(rng),rng))

To enter an **array** formula, hold down <ctrl<shift while hitting <enter.
Excel will place braces {...} around the formula

--ron

JE McGimpsey

How can I ignore an #N/A value in a =SUM() formula?

One way (array-entered: CTRL-SHIFT-ENTER or CMD-RETURN):

=SUM(IF(ISNUMBER(rng),rng))