-   -   Filling in blanks. (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-worksheet-functions/7049-filling-blanks.html)

S. Kissing

Filling in blanks.

I have a large spreadsheet, it has names and blanks in column A. I want to
fill in the blanks with the name above the blanks with out having to do it
manually. Any ides???

peter

Hi,
If you know how to write and run a macro...
sub filldown()

range("a1:c10").select 'you can either enter the range
'here or leave this line out and highlight the range
'before you run the macro

selection.specialcells(xlcelltypeblanks).select
selection.formulaR1C1="=R[-1]C

end sub

peter

I have a large spreadsheet, it has names and blanks in

column A. I want to
fill in the blanks with the name above the blanks with

out having to do it
manually. Any ides???
.

Gord Dibben

Assume A1 has a name.

Select column A.

Hit F5 and SpecialBlanks.

Enter an = sign in the active cell then point to cell above and hit CRTL +
ENTER.

With column A still selected, copy and in place Paste SpecialValuesOKEsc.

Gord Dibben Excel MVP