-   -   Matching/merging data from two worksheets (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-worksheet-functions/70183-matching-merging-data-two-worksheets.html)

rg3

Matching/merging data from two worksheets

This seems like a simple problem to me, but I haven't got a clue where
to start.

I have two spreadsheets. Spreadsheet A contains teachers and the name
of the school they work at. Spreadsheet B contains all schools in the
state and the addresses.

I want to merge the address to the school onto spreadsheet A. In other
words, I would like the correct address to appear after the school name
for each teacher. The address will be in separate cells.

I assume a formula using functions would do this. Can you help?

--
rg3
rg3's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=31291

Bob Tarburton

Matching/merging data from two worksheets

If Sheet1 has Teacher in column A and School in column B,
Sheet2 has school in column A and address fields in subsequesnt columns,
and school name is entered exactly the same on Sheet1 as on Sheet2

in C1 on Sheet1
=index(Sheet2!B:B,MATCH($B1,SHEET2!$A:$A,0))
Copy down and across as needed.
If your list in Sheet1 does not start in row 1, adjust where you start (C1)
and what you match (B1).

"rg3" wrote in message

This seems like a simple problem to me, but I haven't got a clue where
to start.

I have two spreadsheets. Spreadsheet A contains teachers and the name
of the school they work at. Spreadsheet B contains all schools in the
state and the addresses.

I want to merge the address to the school onto spreadsheet A. In other
words, I would like the correct address to appear after the school name
for each teacher. The address will be in separate cells.

I assume a formula using functions would do this. Can you help?

--
rg3
rg3's Profile:
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=509611

rg3

Matching/merging data from two worksheets

It works like a charm!