-   -   How do I check for duplications in a range of data (excel)? (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-worksheet-functions/7014-how-do-i-check-duplications-range-data-excel.html)

-Adrianna_

How do I check for duplications in a range of data (excel)?

I have a large list of Alpha/numeric codes and I need to determine if any of
the codes are duplicated. Of course I have sorted the column and done if
manually but the list is up to 4000 rows long (a monthly occurance) and i
almost make myself blind doing it by eyesight.I have tried IF formulae but to
no avail, I am a little stuck and even our IS department are unsure as to
what to do.
Any ideas?

Alan

Two ways, with your data in column A, go Format, Conditional Formatting,
select 'Formula is' and enter
=COUNTIF(A:A,A10)1
and format the cell as bright yellow or whatever, all duplicates will be
yellow,

data in column A again, in B1 enter
=IF(COUNTIF(A:A,A1)1,"")
and copy down to the end of the range, all duplicates will have 1 in the
adjacent cell in column B, sort by column B
Regards,
"-Adrianna_" wrote in message
I have a large list of Alpha/numeric codes and I need to determine if any
of
the codes are duplicated. Of course I have sorted the column and done if
manually but the list is up to 4000 rows long (a monthly occurance) and i
almost make myself blind doing it by eyesight.I have tried IF formulae but
no avail, I am a little stuck and even our IS department are unsure as to
what to do.
Any ideas?

Alan

Sorry, that should be