-   -   3-d reference not adjusting when using Fill Handle to copy down (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-worksheet-functions/7001-3-d-reference-not-adjusting-when-using-fill-handle-copy-down.html)

gall

3-d reference not adjusting when using Fill Handle to copy down

I am trying to copy a 3-d reference from a cell to others below it using the
fill handle. According to the book I'm referencing, the formula should copy
and adjust automatically. But when I drag the fill handle, the formula is
not adjust.

Example:
Cell A1: ='Section 1'!B22
If I click the fill handle from A1 to C1 I would expect the values:
Cell b1: ='Section 2'!B22
Cell c1: ='Section 3'!B22

Thanks,
Gall

tjtjjtjt

The cell references will change, not the sheets.

What you should be getting would be:
='Section 1'!B22
='Section 1'!B23
='Section 1'!B24

tj

"gall" wrote:

I am trying to copy a 3-d reference from a cell to others below it using the
fill handle. According to the book I'm referencing, the formula should copy
and adjust automatically. But when I drag the fill handle, the formula is
not adjust.

Example:
Cell A1: ='Section 1'!B22
If I click the fill handle from A1 to C1 I would expect the values:
Cell b1: ='Section 2'!B22
Cell c1: ='Section 3'!B22

Thanks,
Gall

Biff

Hi!

Try this:

=INDIRECT("'Section "&ROW(A1)&"'!B$22")

Biff

I am trying to copy a 3-d reference from a cell to others

below it using the
fill handle. According to the book I'm referencing, the

formula should copy
and adjust automatically. But when I drag the fill

handle, the formula is
not adjust.

Example:
Cell A1: ='Section 1'!B22
If I click the fill handle from A1 to C1 I would expect

the values:
Cell b1: ='Section 2'!B22
Cell c1: ='Section 3'!B22

Thanks,
Gall

.

Gord Dibben

Gall

=INDIRECT("Section" & (COLUMN()) & "!B22") entered in A1

When copied Across, B1 will be Section2!B22, C1 Section3!B22, etc.

Gord Dibben Excel MVP