-   -   Will Excel's time function do this? (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-worksheet-functions/68402-will-excels-time-function-do.html)

Bob Newman

Will Excel's time function do this?

(Sorry if this is a cross post)
Excel 2003

I need a cell to display the "time until" an event. I set it up using to
cells, a simple "=now()" function in one and the date/time of the event in
the other & a 3rd cell with the event cell minus the now cell (formatted
h:mm:ss). Two questions please. First & most important, this works okay
for the event (same day as now) but I have to keep hitting F9 to recalc for
it to be accurate. Is there a way to have de destination cell "running"
constantly so you can see the seconds ticking down continuously? Also
(unrelated to the 1st question) instead of showing hours/minutes/seconds
until the event in one cell, can I break it up into several? I.e.; days,
hour, minutes, seconds until event in separate cells? (or another way if the
event is several days from now).

Thanks in advance... Bob

daddylonglegs

Will Excel's time function do this?

Bob, you could try this

A2 =NOW()
B2 = future date e.g. 25-Dec-2006
C2 =INT(B2-A2)
D2 =INT((B2-A2-C2)*24)
E2 =MOD(INT((B2-A2)*1440),60)
F2 =MOD(INT((B2-A2)*86400),60)

C2:F2 gives you days hours minutes and seconds between your now and
your date

to update automatically you need VBA - see Joe Was contribution here

http://www.mrexcel.com/board2/viewtopic.php?t=98916

--
daddylonglegs
daddylonglegs's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=30486