-   -   Excel formula that calculates percentage of increase or decrease (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-worksheet-functions/66849-excel-formula-calculates-percentage-increase-decrease.html)

Ration

Excel formula that calculates percentage of increase or decrease

I'm pretty new to Excel and I need a formula that calculates the percentage
of increase or decrease between 2 numbers. For example if the first number is
12 and the second number is 16, this is a 33% increase over the original
number (12). Is there a formula that incorporates this calculation?

Ron Rosenfeld

Excel formula that calculates percentage of increase or decrease

On Mon, 23 Jan 2006 07:51:03 -0800, Ration
wrote:

I'm pretty new to Excel and I need a formula that calculates the percentage
of increase or decrease between 2 numbers. For example if the first number is
12 and the second number is 16, this is a 33% increase over the original
number (12). Is there a formula that incorporates this calculation?

=(16-12)/12

or

=(SecondNumber - FirstNumber) / FirstNumber

If your FirstNumber is in A1, and your SecondNumber in A2, then:

=(A2-A1)/A1

For a nicer looking result, format the cell with your formula as Percent with
the desired number of decimal places.
--ron

BekkiM

Excel formula that calculates percentage of increase or decrease

=(B2-A2)/A2

Where A2 is your original number (12) and B2 is your new number (16)