-   -   want if cell containts text, then increase count by one (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-worksheet-functions/6610-want-if-cell-containts-text-then-increase-count-one.html)

lsundae

want if cell containts text, then increase count by one

I want to have an If/Then statement that looks for text in a cell and then
increases a count by 1.

=If(B33="text"),("b40+1"), (""))

This is about what I have, but I want something that would read something
like:
If cell b33 contains this text, then add 1 to cell b40, if not then do
nothing.

Thanks,

Louise

Max

One way to play with ..

Click Tools Options Calculation tab

Check "Iteration"
Input a "1" in the "Max iterations" and "Max change" boxes

Click OK

Now put in B40: =IF(TRIM(B33)="text",B40+1,B40)

See also JE's notes and caveats at :
http://www.mcgimpsey.com/excel/accumulator.html

Look for:
- Single cell accumulator
- Worksheet Function Accumulator (using Circular References)
--
Rgds
Max
"lsundae" wrote in message
I want to have an If/Then statement that looks for text in a cell and then
increases a count by 1.

=If(B33="text"),("b40+1"), (""))

This is about what I have, but I want something that would read something
like:
If cell b33 contains this text, then add 1 to cell b40, if not then do
nothing.

Thanks,

Louise

Frank Kabel

Hi
this is not really possible with formulas. you'll need VBA for this or a
helper cell

"lsundae" wrote:

I want to have an If/Then statement that looks for text in a cell and then
increases a count by 1.

=If(B33="text"),("b40+1"), (""))

This is about what I have, but I want something that would read something
like:
If cell b33 contains this text, then add 1 to cell b40, if not then do
nothing.

Thanks,

Louise

R.VENKATARAMAN

=IF(B33="text",B40+1,B40)

.. enter <text in B33 and 5 in B40
if this is so the cell where you enter the above will be 6
if this not so the cell will be 5
is this what you want

"lsundae" wrote:

I want to have an If/Then statement that looks for text in a cell and

then
increases a count by 1.

=If(B33="text"),("b40+1"), (""))

This is about what I have, but I want something that would read

something
like:
If cell b33 contains this text, then add 1 to cell b40, if not then do
nothing.

Thanks,

Louise

Max

"Frank Kabel" wrote
this is not really possible with formulas.

Thought the example suggested earlier using a formula in *B40* itself
(with the iteration settings) seems to work ok under light testing ..
of course, within bounds of the caveats mentioned in JE's: