-   -   How do i separate full names appearing in single cells? (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-worksheet-functions/65996-how-do-i-separate-full-names-appearing-single-cells.html)

daveylee

How do i separate full names appearing in single cells?

We received an excel spread sheet with full names within a single column. We
need to separate into first and last name columns.

Dave Peterson

How do i separate full names appearing in single cells?

Select the column
Data|Text to columns
delimited by space

Watch out for those names with more than two parts!

--

Dave Peterson

intruder9

How do i separate full names appearing in single cells?

You can also take a look here
http://www.cpearson.com/excel/FirstLast.htm

--
intruder9
intruder9's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=30107

SteveG

How do i separate full names appearing in single cells?

If your names are First Name Last Name with a space between them then
for the first name

=LEFT($A$10,FIND(" ",$A$10,1)-1)

for the last name.

=RIGHT($A$10,FIND(" ",$A$10,1))