-   -   how do you create drop down menus for individual cells in excel? (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-worksheet-functions/6432-how-do-you-create-drop-down-menus-individual-cells-excel.html)

Frosty1

how do you create drop down menus for individual cells in excel?

I cannot figure out how to create a drop down menu with numbers to use in
individual cells. I also want the ability to use names as well.

Thank you

Arvi Laanemets

Hi

Select cells you want to have drop-downs.
From menu, select Data.Validation
In Allow field select 'List'
Into Source field enter the your list of selections, or reference to such
list in a cell range. Like:
'Value1,Value2,...,ValueN'
or
=$X$1:$X$10
or
=ListRange
where ListRange is a named range on any sheet of workbook.

NB! In 2nd example you can refer only to range on same sheet!

Values in list can be numbers or texts or dates - whatever you like. When
you format cells containing the list, the dropdown is displayed as you did
format source cells. But you have to format the cell with dropdown
separately.

An example:
Into range E1:E3 enter dates {01.01.2004}, {01.02.20040, {01.03.2004}
Format the range E1:E2 as Custom "mmmm" - Janyary, February and March are
displayed
Select cell A1, and then Data.Validation. Select List and into source field
enter
=$E$1:$E$3
OK

The dropdown in cell A1 will be "January", "February", "March". When you
select p.e. "January" from list, in cell A1 is the value 37987 displayed.
Format A1 as date - it will be p.e. 1st January 2004 - but the format of
dropdown list remains unchanged.

Arvi Laanemets

"Frosty1" wrote in message
I cannot figure out how to create a drop down menu with numbers to use in
individual cells. I also want the ability to use names as well.

Thank you

Debra Dalgleish

In addition to the information Arvi provided, there are instructions for
Data Validation in Excel's Help, and he

--
Debra Dalgleish
Excel FAQ, Tips & Book List