-   -   Indirect does not recognize full server path? (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-worksheet-functions/63576-indirect-does-not-recognize-full-server-path.html)

Matt

Indirect does not recognize full server path?

I have an excel workbook linked to several other workbooks (all of which
change names - i.e. a date indexing: filename_date.xls). They also live on
different servers, so I am trying to set the full server names
\\server\folder\etc. If I use the defined path, i.e. W:\, indirect works,
but when I change the the W:\ to \\server\folder, it doesn't - I get #REF!

I need to use the full server path becuase the file will be shared among
others who have different paths set up

Thanks!

Dave Peterson

Indirect does not recognize full server path?

I think you'll find that with the next calculation, that =indirect() formula
that points at a closed workbook will fail--no matter how you refer to that
path.

Harlan Grove wrote a UDF called PULL that will retrieve the value from a closed
workbook.

You can find the function at Harlan's FTP site:
ftp://members.aol.com/hrlngrv/
Look for pull.zip

--

Dave Peterson

Matt

Indirect does not recognize full server path?

I have the files open, and it fails using the full server path, but not when
I use the defined path (and the file open, of course)...

Matt wrote:

I have an excel workbook linked to several other workbooks (all of which
change names - i.e. a date indexing: filename_date.xls). They also live on
different servers, so I am trying to set the full server names
\\server\folder\etc. If I use the defined path, i.e. W:\, indirect works,
but when I change the the W:\ to \\server\folder, it doesn't - I get #REF!

I need to use the full server path becuase the file will be shared among
others who have different paths set up

Thanks!

--

Dave Peterson

Dave Peterson

Indirect does not recognize full server path?

If the file is open, you don't need the path at all.

I'd remove the path from the formula.

I don't have a network to test it on, but I don't recall seeing any length
restriction for that path. There is a length restriction for a formula in
excel, though. It can't exceed 1024 characters when measured in R1C1 reference
style.

Any chance that's the problem?