zeek

Default Question about "replace"

I have inherited a sheet where someone added an "*" to distinguish between 2
duplicate values. Example would be stamp #"M0001" for one person and when
offices combined there may have been 2 stamps with this number. Someone
added the "*" to the second entry. I am attempting to find the severity of
the problem by identifying duplicates. I attempted to use the replace and
change "*" to nothing. This caused all of the data to be replaced with
nothing.

How can I remove all of the "*" with out disturbing the rest of the data.
Also the stamp numbers vary in length and prefix, some are "M" others "P"
etc. about 4600 total stamps.

Thanks to all

Lomax

JulieD

Hi Zeek

when using Edit / Replace use
FIND: ~*
REPLACE WITH: <leave blank
the ~ is the one to the left of the 1 above the TAB on my keyboard at least
:)

Cheers
JulieD

"zeek" wrote in message
I have inherited a sheet where someone added an "*" to distinguish between
2 duplicate values. Example would be stamp #"M0001" for one person and
when offices combined there may have been 2 stamps with this number.
Someone added the "*" to the second entry. I am attempting to find the
severity of the problem by identifying duplicates. I attempted to use the
replace and change "*" to nothing. This caused all of the data to be
replaced with nothing.

How can I remove all of the "*" with out disturbing the rest of the data.
Also the stamp numbers vary in length and prefix, some are "M" others "P"
etc. about 4600 total stamps.

Thanks to all

Lomax

tjtjjtjt

See you post in "general"
Please try not to post the same question in multiple groups--most people
read them all and will get to your question, given time.

tj

"zeek" wrote:

I have inherited a sheet where someone added an "*" to distinguish between 2
duplicate values. Example would be stamp #"M0001" for one person and when
offices combined there may have been 2 stamps with this number. Someone
added the "*" to the second entry. I am attempting to find the severity of
the problem by identifying duplicates. I attempted to use the replace and
change "*" to nothing. This caused all of the data to be replaced with
nothing.

How can I remove all of the "*" with out disturbing the rest of the data.
Also the stamp numbers vary in length and prefix, some are "M" others "P"
etc. about 4600 total stamps.

Thanks to all

Lomax

zeek

JulieD,

Thanks and it works like a charm.

Where did you find that little tidbit of info. Just to satisfy my
curiosity.

lomax

"zeek" wrote in message
I have inherited a sheet where someone added an "*" to distinguish between
2 duplicate values. Example would be stamp #"M0001" for one person and
when offices combined there may have been 2 stamps with this number.
Someone added the "*" to the second entry. I am attempting to find the
severity of the problem by identifying duplicates. I attempted to use the
replace and change "*" to nothing. This caused all of the data to be
replaced with nothing.

How can I remove all of the "*" with out disturbing the rest of the
data. Also the stamp numbers vary in length and prefix, some are "M"
others "P" etc. about 4600 total stamps.

Thanks to all

Lomax

JulieD

Hi lomax

the question has been asked in these ngs before ... and the answer is just
one of those things that has stuck in my brain :)

Cheers
JulieD