Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
pstar

Default Hide cell value conditional on its value

I have a worksheet that shows employee names/positions in column A, followed
by monthly salary in columns B through M. Some rows will have blank values
for several months depending on whether a particular person/position is going
to be hired/fired/etc. I need to create a duplicate worksheet that will show
the same names/positions, but doesn't show the $ amounts. For example, if a
certain position was empty until March, I would want the Jan & Feb cell to
remain blank and the March-Dec cell to contain an indicator of the presence
of a value, this could be just an "x" to indicate that in the original
worksheet the cell was populated with a salary.

the purpose is so that I have a separate worksheet to distribute to managers
to plan their headcount month-by-month without disclosing confidential salary
information.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Elkar

An IF Statement should do the trick. Assuming your original sheet is called
"Sheet1", use this formula:

=IF(Sheet1!B1<"","X","")

HTH,
Elkar

"pstar" wrote:

I have a worksheet that shows employee names/positions in column A, followed
by monthly salary in columns B through M. Some rows will have blank values
for several months depending on whether a particular person/position is going
to be hired/fired/etc. I need to create a duplicate worksheet that will show
the same names/positions, but doesn't show the $ amounts. For example, if a
certain position was empty until March, I would want the Jan & Feb cell to
remain blank and the March-Dec cell to contain an indicator of the presence
of a value, this could be just an "x" to indicate that in the original
worksheet the cell was populated with a salary.

the purpose is so that I have a separate worksheet to distribute to managers
to plan their headcount month-by-month without disclosing confidential salary
information.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
intruder9

In this instance lets say the sheet with the salary figures is named
January, on another sheet you could use the following formula to
reference the information =IF(January!B150,"x","") this will put
an x in place if the cell is above 0 or a blank if the cell is empty.

--
intruder9
intruder9's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=30107