-   -   If it's not a space, return the cell contents. (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-worksheet-functions/62929-if-its-not-space-return-cell-contents.html)

Gee...

If it's not a space, return the cell contents.

I have a column of data that's generated when some tests are done.
There are "File" names, then any number of "Page" names.
All the Page names start with 5 spaces (space-bar hits).
I would like an if/then function that would look at the first character and
if it's not a space to return the contents of the cell.
Like if the cell says " A23 " I would get a return of "" (nothing).
If the cell says "BC55HTM" I would get a return of "BC55HTM"

Govind

If it's not a space, return the cell contents.

Hi,

Use

=IF(LEFT(A1,1)=" ","",A1)

Regards

Govind.

Gee... wrote:

I have a column of data that's generated when some tests are done.
There are "File" names, then any number of "Page" names.
All the Page names start with 5 spaces (space-bar hits).
I would like an if/then function that would look at the first character and
if it's not a space to return the contents of the cell.
Like if the cell says " A23 " I would get a return of "" (nothing).
If the cell says "BC55HTM" I would get a return of "BC55HTM"

Biff

If it's not a space, return the cell contents.

Hi!

Try this:

=IF(LEFT(A1)=" ","",A1)

Or

=IF(LEFT(A1)=CHAR(32),"",A1)

Biff

"Gee..." wrote in message
I have a column of data that's generated when some tests are done.
There are "File" names, then any number of "Page" names.
All the Page names start with 5 spaces (space-bar hits).
I would like an if/then function that would look at the first character
and
if it's not a space to return the contents of the cell.
Like if the cell says " A23 " I would get a return of ""
(nothing).
If the cell says "BC55HTM" I would get a return of "BC55HTM"

Gee...

If it's not a space, return the cell contents.

Thanks, guys...just what I needed!