-   -   Turning off date formatting (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-worksheet-functions/62776-turning-off-date-formatting.html)

largeone59

Turning off date formatting

Hello,

I found something on a web page that i'm trying to paste into excel.
There are some cells that have rule book references structured like
this: 2-4-3

Excel is interpreting these rule book references as dates and would
change numbers like the above example to dates like 2/4/2003

How can i stop excel from doing this when i paste?

Thanks!

--
largeone59
largeone59's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=30066

Peo Sjoblom

Turning off date formatting

You can import it using a web query and turn off date recognition or try to
preformat as text the range where you paste this to

Peo Sjoblom

(No private emails please)

"largeone59" wrote
in message ...

Hello,

I found something on a web page that i'm trying to paste into excel.
There are some cells that have rule book references structured like
this: 2-4-3

Excel is interpreting these rule book references as dates and would
change numbers like the above example to dates like 2/4/2003

How can i stop excel from doing this when i paste?

Thanks!

--
largeone59
largeone59's Profile:
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=497473

largeone59

Turning off date formatting

could you tell me how to do both of those please??

thanks!

--
largeone59
largeone59's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=30066
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=497473

Peo Sjoblom

Turning off date formatting

1. In excel 2003 which I am working with at the moment, dataimport external
datanew webquery, type in the
URL, under options select disable date recognition, click OK then click
import. This is mainly if you want to import tables etc You can do the same
in previous versions at least including excel 2000

2. Select the range where you want to copy, do formatcellsnumber and
select text, click OK
then paste

Peo Sjoblom

(No private emails please)