Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
jazzydwit

Default conditional formatting

hi.
now that i have one issue down, another pops up. i need help now with
adding conditional formatting when i enter a formula to highlight
column dates <= to a particular date. what i am doing is highlighting
the entire column that i want to add the conditional format too, then i
enter the formula =IF(E3<=DATE(2005,1,4),"yes","no") add my format and
nothing happens. Please help. thanks.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Bob Phillips

Try

=IF($E$3<=DATE(2005,1,4),"yes","no")

You must also click Format, select the Pattern tab, and choose a colour.

--

HTH

RP

"jazzydwit" wrote in message
oups.com...
hi.
now that i have one issue down, another pops up. i need help now with
adding conditional formatting when i enter a formula to highlight
column dates <= to a particular date. what i am doing is highlighting
the entire column that i want to add the conditional format too, then i
enter the formula =IF(E3<=DATE(2005,1,4),"yes","no") add my format and
nothing happens. Please help. thanks.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
wjohnson

Not sure what you are doing with the formula.
=IF(E3<=DATE(2005,1,4),"yes","no")
But the way I read it - your "Conditional Statement" will return a
"YES" or "NO" answer and is only applicable to cell E3.

I read this as the date is in cell E3, the formula is in another cell,
(i.e. F3).
If you want to "Conditional Format" the "YES and "NO" then select that
column and then select Cell Value in the "Conditional Statement" Box
and enter "equals" then enter "YES" and then select your color or etc.
Save that "Conditional Statement". The do the same again for "NO"
If you want to "Conditional Statement" the Date (i.e. column E) then in
the Cell Value select "less than or equal to" as the condition and then
enter 1005,1,4 in the value section.

--
wjohnson
wjohnson's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=29640

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
jazzydwit

hi. sounds simple, but that's what i did--but nothing happened. for a
fresh start, i actually cut and pasted column into new workbook and got
same results. I was looking for the rows based on my logic to be
highlighted in yellow. Am i missing something?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
jazzydwit

hi. sorry for the confusion. i have a list of dates in one column. I
highlighted the entire column and used the conditional formatting
"formula is" =IF(E3<=DATE(2005,1,4),"yes","no") then selected the
yellow pattern format. clicked "ok" twice and got nothing. I was
hoping that in that column, some rows would appear highlighted in
yellow based on logic stated above.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
gandhi318

you may need to copy the first formmatted cell to all the range

--
gandhi318Posted from - http://www.officehelp.in

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
jazzydwit

sorry, that does not work for conditional formatting, thanks.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Bob Phillips

Clearly you are, but it is difficult to say what from a distance.

Can you provide an example of the data and each of the steps that you took
so that we can spot the problem?

--

HTH

RP

"jazzydwit" wrote in message
ups.com...
hi. sounds simple, but that's what i did--but nothing happened. for a
fresh start, i actually cut and pasted column into new workbook and got
same results. I was looking for the rows based on my logic to be
highlighted in yellow. Am i missing something?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
jazzydwit

Sure. I dumped hire date data from PeopleSoft Query to excel file. I
performed the steps to reformat the dates from yyyy/mm/dd to
mm/dd/yyyy. highlighted the entire column, clicked on format -
conditional formatting, selected for conditional 1, "formula is"; in
the second field, i entered the formula
=IF(E3:E5286<=DATE(2005,1,4),"yes","no"); clicked the format button,
selected the Pattern tab, chosed the yellow color and clicked OK,
twice. Still nothing. Thanks.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Peo Sjoblom

You shouldn't use an IF function for this, the whole idea is to get a
formula that returns TRUE or FALSE
then you shouldn't use the whole range (Bob's example doesn't use E3:E5286
does it?), you select the whole range with E3 as the active cell then in the
formula is box put

=E3<=DATE(2005,1,4)

then select format and click OK twice

if that doesn't work your dates must be text

Peo Sjoblom

(No private emails please)

"jazzydwit" wrote in message
ups.com...
Sure. I dumped hire date data from PeopleSoft Query to excel file. I
performed the steps to reformat the dates from yyyy/mm/dd to
mm/dd/yyyy. highlighted the entire column, clicked on format -
conditional formatting, selected for conditional 1, "formula is"; in
the second field, i entered the formula
=IF(E3:E5286<=DATE(2005,1,4),"yes","no"); clicked the format button,
selected the Pattern tab, chosed the yellow color and clicked OK,
twice. Still nothing. Thanks.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Peo Sjoblom

Yes it does, you can set conditional formatting for one cell and then copy
the format to other cells either by the paintbrush or by copy paste special
as formats

Peo Sjoblom

(No private emails please)

"jazzydwit" wrote in message
oups.com...
sorry, that does not work for conditional formatting, thanks.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
jazzydwit

I tried the conditional formatting once again w/o using the IF, yes-no.
That did work, however, when I copied the format to the other cells,
all of the cells were highlighted including the ones that were not part
of my logic. for ex. I am looking for dates <=1/4/2005, and one of my
dates, 1/18/2005 was highlighted. Should the formatting have skipped
that particular date? Maybe I am not understanding the proper use of
conditional formatting.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
jazzydwit

hey, i got rid of the gremlin running around in my head, clouding my
thinking and performed the steps (correctly--this time) and it worked.
thanks to all for your help.