-   -   How do I calculate the root of a number using Excel? (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-worksheet-functions/61526-how-do-i-calculate-root-number-using-excel.html)

Arthur Yeager

How do I calculate the root of a number using Excel?

The only root function I can find in Excel is the square root function. How
can I use Excel to calculate third, fourth, fifth etc.. roots of a number?

bpeltzer

How do I calculate the root of a number using Excel?

Use exponentiation. Ex: =64^(1/2) for square root, =64^(1/3) for cube root,
etc.

"Arthur Yeager" wrote:

The only root function I can find in Excel is the square root function. How
can I use Excel to calculate third, fourth, fifth etc.. roots of a number?

Arthur Yeager

How do I calculate the root of a number using Excel?

Brilliant! Thanks for the help.

"Arthur Yeager" wrote:

The only root function I can find in Excel is the square root function. How
can I use Excel to calculate third, fourth, fifth etc.. roots of a number?

john

How do I calculate the root of a number using Excel?

Hi Arthur,

How can I use function for cube roots or even 4th roots

"Arthur Yeager" wrote:

The only root function I can find in Excel is the square root function. How
can I use Excel to calculate third, fourth, fifth etc.. roots of a number?

David Biddulph

How do I calculate the root of a number using Excel?

Interesting to see a thread from 2005 being revived! [And I don't think
that Arthur has posted to the group since then.]

One of the answers was in that thread, but there are two easy options.
To calculate the 4th root of A1, use either
=A1^(1/4)
or
=POWER(A1,1/4)
--