-   -   Rank by flight (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-worksheet-functions/61240-rank-flight.html)

h317

Rank by flight

For the "rank within a flight" to work, I need to create two different
formulas for row 1 to 4 and 5 to 8 separately. I was trying to create a
fits-all formulat in the 4th column of the following spreadsheet. I
tried using array function and it did not work. Please help.

Rank Rank
Flight Scores Full Field Flight
A 78 1 1
A 92 6 4
A 90 4 3
A 88 2 2
B 91 5 2
B 98 7 3
B 89 3 1
B 100 8 4

Please help. Thanks.

--
h317
h317's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=17043

Bernie Deitrick

Rank by flight

h317,

For your example table, starting in cell A1:

=1+SUMPRODUCT(($A$2:$A$9=A2)*($B$2:$B$9<B2))

HTH,
Bernie
MS Excel MVP

"h317" wrote in message

[...]

Thanks, Bernie. It works great. Now I found myself in another
situation:

There are players who did not show up for games and the scorer assign a
score of 0 to those players. When we do the ranking, those absent
players, whose scores are 0, should be exclueded from the ranking. How
can the formula that you created be changed to accocomodate for this?
Thanks.

--
h317
h317's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=17043
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=494871

Bernie Deitrick

Rank by flight

=IF(B2<0,1+SUMPRODUCT(($A$2:$A$9=A2)*($B$2:$B$9< 0)*($B$2:$B$9<B2)),"")

HTH,
Bernie
MS Excel MVP