-   -   Excel Lookup Functions (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-worksheet-functions/6096-excel-lookup-functions.html)

Paul Adams

Excel Lookup Functions

Is there a way on Excel when using a lookup function that instead of
having to click on the other workbook to link it, you can have
something typed in another cell so that tells it to go off and lookup
the correct workbook? Sorry, don't think that makes any sense.

This is why I was wondering.
Each week I refresh a lot of data and save it as that weeks data and
then I have another workbook that has lots of lookups against the
latest weeks data. Each week when I want to get it to link to the new
weeks data I have to go into the lookups and get it to see the new week
and not the previous one. its not too bad as I just go into each lookup
and change part or the address as thats how the weekly files are saved
e.g. wk45, wk46. It would be great if I could get each lookup to look
at a cell in the same worksheet which told it which worksheet to go to
so each week I just had to change that cell. Any ideas?

Thanks

Paul

--
Paul Adams
Paul Adams's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=10468

N Harkawat

Take a look at Indirect function
=vlookup(a1,indirect(a2).....
where cell A2 holds the location of the range