-   -   How to use distribution functions? (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-worksheet-functions/60698-how-use-distribution-functions.html)

gpktm

How to use distribution functions?

How do I use the Student, x^2 and Gaus (normal) distributions?

For example in student distribution for n samples and error probability
of 5% I'm going to Student's table I'm going in n-1 row and t=95 and
find the corresponding number. But in Excel I don't know how it works.

--
gpktm
gpktm's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=17538

Mike Middleton

How to use distribution functions?

gpktm -

See Excel's online or offline Help for examples of the TDIST, CHIDIST, and
NORMDIST worksheet functions.

Then ask specific questions.

(Your original question did not specify one-tail versus two-tail. And if you
want an exact correspondence between Excel and a table from a book, you'll
have to specify the exact assumptions for the book's table. For example,
your book may be assuming degrees of freedom for the t distribution is df =
n-1, but the t distribution is used in other contexts, like multiple
regression, where df is not necessarily n-1.)

- Mike
www.mikemiddleton.com

wrote in message

How do I use the Student, x^2 and Gaus (normal) distributions?

For example in student distribution for n samples and error probability
of 5% I'm going to Student's table I'm going in n-1 row and t=95 and
find the corresponding number. But in Excel I don't know how it works.

--
gpktm
gpktm's Profile:
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=493992

Jerry W. Lewis

How to use distribution functions?

Your description seems a bit garbled, but you migt want to see help for
TINV and NORMINV functions.

Jerry

gpktm wrote:

How do I use the Student, x^2 and Gaus (normal) distributions?

For example in student distribution for n samples and error probability
of 5% I'm going to Student's table I'm going in n-1 row and t=95 and
find the corresponding number. But in Excel I don't know how it works.

gpktm

How to use distribution functions?

Nevermind I found it, and by the way it wasn't any of these functions
(TDIST, CHIDIST, NORMDIST). It was the inverse function of t
distribution.