-   -   TAN different to a calculator? Please help would be appreciated lo (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-worksheet-functions/60678-tan-different-calculator-please-help-would-appreciated-lo.html)

!!HELP!!

TAN different to a calculator? Please help would be appreciated lo

Hi,

I am doing my GCSE at the moment and I have come up with a fomula to
calculate the area of any polygon. My formula includes TAN but when I use the
TAN function on Excel it gives me a completely different answer to my
calculator.

Please help, is TAN different in America? Sorry if this sounds really stupid
but I need to know.

Thanks

David Billigmeier

TAN different to a calculator? Please help would be appreciated lo

Be careful when using trig functions, you gotta make sure you're using
radians/degrees correctly. The TAN() in excel handles Radians. For example
to get the tangent of 45 DEGREES use the following formula:

=TAN(45*PI()/180)

Dave

"!!HELP!!" wrote:

Hi,

I am doing my GCSE at the moment and I have come up with a fomula to
calculate the area of any polygon. My formula includes TAN but when I use the
TAN function on Excel it gives me a completely different answer to my
calculator.

Please help, is TAN different in America? Sorry if this sounds really stupid
but I need to know.

Thanks

Pete

TAN different to a calculator? Please help would be appreciated lo

Do you know the difference between degrees and radians? I suspect you
are using degrees but you need radians in the TAN( ) formula - Help
will explain how to convert.

Pete

Bernard Liengme

TAN different to a calculator? Please help would be appreciated lo

David's answer is correct but to save you remembering is it PI()/180 or
180/Pi()
use the RADIANS and DEGREES function.
A1 has 45 entered (meaning 45 degrees), to get the tan of this angle use
=TAN(RADIANS(A1))
B1 has 0.866 and you what the asin (inverse sine), use =DEGREES(ASIN(B1))

best wishes with GCSE - I took mine 50 years ago when it was called 'O'
level
--
Bernard V Liengme
www.stfx.ca/people/bliengme

"!!HELP!!" wrote in message

I am doing my GCSE at the moment and I have come up with a fomula to
calculate the area of any polygon. My formula includes TAN but when I use
the
TAN function on Excel it gives me a completely different answer to my
calculator.

Please help, is TAN different in America? Sorry if this sounds really
stupid
but I need to know.

Thanks

!!HELP!!

TAN different to a calculator? Please help would be appreciate

Thanks people!!

That really helped me, the website just made it sound sooo complicated. I
fully understand it and thank you greatly for your assistance!

"!!HELP!!" wrote in message

I am doing my GCSE at the moment and I have come up with a fomula to
calculate the area of any polygon. My formula includes TAN but when I use
the
TAN function on Excel it gives me a completely different answer to my
calculator.

Please help, is TAN different in America? Sorry if this sounds really
stupid
but I need to know.

Thanks

MrShorty

TAN different to a calculator? Please help would be appreciated lo

What units (degrees, radians, gradians) is your calculator set to? My
US version of Excel requires the argument to the TAN function to be in
radians, and I would assume that would be the same for versions for
other countries. If your argument is in degrees, convert it to radians
before applying the TAN function.

--
MrShorty
MrShorty's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=22181