-   -   printing rather than doing (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-worksheet-functions/6054-printing-rather-than-doing.html)

Danny J

printing rather than doing

Dear all,

I have a formula which works fine, but when I copy it to the next cell the
formula appears as text rather than actually doing anything. For example
in the cell =a1+a2 appears rather than the calculation actually being
performed, the cell is formatted as general not as text. Other formulae
work as normal Help!

Thank you,

Danny

JE McGimpsey

You formatted the cell as General *after* pasting the formula in, right?

Once XL thinks an entry is text, changing number format doesn't change
the entry. Select the cell, hit F2 then Enter to force the parser to
reinterpret the entry.

In article ,
"Danny J" wrote:

Dear all,

I have a formula which works fine, but when I copy it to the next cell the
formula appears as text rather than actually doing anything. For example
in the cell =a1+a2 appears rather than the calculation actually being
performed, the cell is formatted as general not as text. Other formulae
work as normal Help!

Thank you,

Danny

Danny J