-   -   Isolate text following a period (".") (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-worksheet-functions/6016-isolate-text-following-period-%22-%22.html)

tommcbrny

Isolate text following a period (".")

Hello...I am trying to create a function that will populate a cell with the
first three text characters that follow a period (".") from a text string in
another cell. Can anyone tell me whether there is a function that will allow
me to do this?

Thanks,
Tom

JulieD

Hi Tom

you can use
=MID(A1,SEARCH(".",A1)+1,3)

Regards
JulieD

"tommcbrny" wrote in message
Hello...I am trying to create a function that will populate a cell with
the
first three text characters that follow a period (".") from a text string
in
another cell. Can anyone tell me whether there is a function that will
allow
me to do this?

Thanks,
Tom

JE McGimpsey

One way:

=MID(A1,FIND(".",A1)+1,3)

If A1 might not contain a ".":

=IF(COUNTIF(A1,"*.*"),MID(A1,FIND(".",A1)+1,3),"")