-   -   stop excel from shifting cells up when a query returns no data (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-worksheet-functions/5984-stop-excel-shifting-cells-up-when-query-returns-no-data.html)

DrLostinExcel

stop excel from shifting cells up when a query returns no data

1. I am trying to create a Powerpoint Presentation from an Excel sheet which
is linked to a MS-SQL database. When the queries return no data Excel will
shift the cells where the data should go up on the sheet throwing off the
links to the charts. This is UNBELIEVEABLY ANNOYING. How do I stop the
shifting of the cells. I've tried to get around by using a case statement in
the SQL but instead of retuning zeros I get nothing back and the cells shift.
I tried to use SQL.REQUEST but can't seem to get the function installed.

2. How do I set up queries in Excel that don't constantly ask me for the
password to the database?

Thanks

Joe B

Arvi Laanemets

Select any cell in returned query table. From Data menu, select
GetExternalData.DataRangeProperties - there you can set various properties.
Check 'Overwrite existing cells ...'.

--
Arvi Laanemets
(When sending e-mail, use address arvil<Attarkon.ee)

"DrLostinExcel" wrote in message
1. I am trying to create a Powerpoint Presentation from an Excel sheet

which
is linked to a MS-SQL database. When the queries return no data Excel will
shift the cells where the data should go up on the sheet throwing off the
links to the charts. This is UNBELIEVEABLY ANNOYING. How do I stop the
shifting of the cells. I've tried to get around by using a case statement

in
the SQL but instead of retuning zeros I get nothing back and the cells

shift.
I tried to use SQL.REQUEST but can't seem to get the function installed.

2. How do I set up queries in Excel that don't constantly ask me for the
password to the database?

Thanks

Joe B

DrLostinExcel