-   -   Count number of items in one column that have a value in another? (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-worksheet-functions/59737-count-number-items-one-column-have-value-another.html)

onthefritz

Count number of items in one column that have a value in another?

I have a spreadsheet that I would like to count the number of occurrences of
a particular value in one column that also have a particular value in another.

For instance, I want the number of times the value in column B = Yes when
the value in column C = 0.

I've tried using COUNTIF and SUMIF, but they both give me the result of the
two arguments added together as opposed to how many contain both values.

I would certainly appreciate any ideas.

Thanks.

Chris Lavender

Count number of items in one column that have a value in another?

Add a formula in Col D (or wherever) that concatenates B and C (eg =B1&C1),
then do a COUNTIF on Col D (eg =COUNTIF(D:D,"YES0")

HTH Best rgds
Chris Lav

"onthefritz" wrote in message
[...]

Biff

Count number of items in one column that have a value in another?

Hi!

Try this:

=SUMPRODUCT(--(B1:B20="yes"),--(ISNUMBER(C1:C20)),--(C1:C20=0))

Biff

"onthefritz" wrote in message
I have a spreadsheet that I would like to count the number of occurrences
of
a particular value in one column that also have a particular value in
another.

For instance, I want the number of times the value in column B = Yes when
the value in column C = 0.

I've tried using COUNTIF and SUMIF, but they both give me the result of
the
two arguments added together as opposed to how many contain both values.

I would certainly appreciate any ideas.

Thanks.

Harlan Grove

Count number of items in one column that have a value in another?

onthefritz wrote...
I have a spreadsheet that I would like to count the number of occurrences of
a particular value in one column that also have a particular value in another.

For instance, I want the number of times the value in column B = Yes when
the value in column C = 0.

No need to use additional supporting cells/ranges. Try something like

=SUMPRODUCT(--(B2:B1001="Yes"),--(C2:C1001=0))

onthefritz

"onthefritz" wrote:

I have a spreadsheet that I would like to count the number of occurrences of
a particular value in one column that also have a particular value in another.

For instance, I want the number of times the value in column B = Yes when
the value in column C = 0.

I've tried using COUNTIF and SUMIF, but they both give me the result of the
two arguments added together as opposed to how many contain both values.

I would certainly appreciate any ideas.

Thanks.

Chris Lav -

Thanks for the help. This worked great!