-   -   Vlookup using two columns (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-worksheet-functions/59693-vlookup-using-two-columns.html)

Daniel Bonallack

Vlookup using two columns

In column A I have companies, in column B I have titles, in column C, I have
names

Column A repeats companies, as there are a bunch of titles for each company.

In column D, I would like to return the name of the "Managing Director" for
each company (so it will be one name repeated for each company), based on
looking up the title in column B in combination with each unique company

eg
IBM, Director, Bob [in D, returned value = "Tim"]
IBM, Managing Director, Tim [in D, returned value = "Tim"]
IBM, Vice President, Mary [in D, returned value = "Tim"]
3M, Director, Sarah [in D, returned value = "Robyn"]
3M, Managing Director, Robyn [in D, returned value = "Robyn"]

Thanks in advance

Daniel

Montrose77

Vlookup using two columns

Ok, this is a very crude solution, but it works...

Enter the following formula into column E:

=A2&B2

And in column F:

=A2&"Managing Director"

Then in column D:

=INDIRECT(ADDRESS(MATCH(F2,E:E,0),3))

You can hide columns E&F if you like.

--
Montrose77
Montrose77's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=18191

Dave Peterson

Vlookup using two columns

You can use this kind of syntax:

=index(othersheet!$c$1:$c$100,
match(1,(a2=othersheet!$a$1:$a$100)*(b2=othersheet !$b$1:$b$100),0))
(one cell)

them yourself.)

Adjust the range to match--but you can't use the whole column.

==
But I got confused about what column is what.

Daniel Bonallack wrote:

In column A I have companies, in column B I have titles, in column C, I have
names

Column A repeats companies, as there are a bunch of titles for each company.

In column D, I would like to return the name of the "Managing Director" for
each company (so it will be one name repeated for each company), based on
looking up the title in column B in combination with each unique company

eg
IBM, Director, Bob [in D, returned value = "Tim"]
IBM, Managing Director, Tim [in D, returned value = "Tim"]
IBM, Vice President, Mary [in D, returned value = "Tim"]
3M, Director, Sarah [in D, returned value = "Robyn"]
3M, Managing Director, Robyn [in D, returned value = "Robyn"]

Thanks in advance

Daniel

--

Dave Peterson

Chris Lavender

Vlookup using two columns

Hi Daniel

Simplest might be to add another column on the left, with a concatenation of
columns A and B ie,
IBMDirector
IBMManaging Director
IBMVice President
3MDirector
3MManaging Director

and then have your lookup look for a concatenation eg,
=VLOOKUP(B15&"Managing Director",A:D,4,0)

HTH Best rgds
Chris Lav

"Daniel Bonallack" wrote in
message ...