-   -   Formatting Numbers (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-worksheet-functions/59690-formatting-numbers.html)

cen16868

Formatting Numbers

I need to delete the last two numbers shown in a series of cells. I can
split the numbers at the hyphen if need be but second set of numbers
needs to have the last two numbers eliminated (without the obvious
backspacing). Copy of data:

000103-03101
000103-03102
000503-04601
000503-04701
001103-00601
000023-02901
000023-03001
000023-03002
000023-03003

For example: 000103-03101 needs to show 000103-031. I realize there
will be duplicate cells. Please advise. Thanks.

--
cen16868
cen16868's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=29521

Ron Coderre

Formatting Numbers

If your list is in Col_A, beginning in Cell A1:

B1: =LEFT(A1,10)

Copy that formula down as far as you need.

If you want to convert those formulas to values:
Select the Col_B formulas
EditCopy
EditPaste SpecialValues

Does that help?

Regards,
Ron

--
Ron Coderre
Ron Coderre's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=21419

SteveG

Formatting Numbers

If your numbers are consistently 12 characters (including hyphens) then
in the cell next to the data, in this case B1.

=LEFT(A1,10)

Drag this down the list.

Cheers,

Steve

--
SteveG
SteveG's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...fo&userid=7571

CLR

Formatting Numbers

With your data in column A, put this in B1 and copy down..........

=LEFT(A1,LEN(A1)-2)

Vaya con Dios,
Chuck, CABGx3

"cen16868" wrote:

[...]

RagDyeR

Formatting Numbers

Select the column of numbers, then:

<Data <Text to Columns
Click "Fixed Width", then <Next

Click in the "Preview Window" to create the "Break Line".
Make sure it's placed to separate the last 2 digits.
Then <Next.

In the "Preview Window", click in the second column containing your last 2
digits to select it.
Click on "Do Not Import".
The header of the second column should change to "Skip Column".
Then <Finish

And you're done!
--

HTH,

RD

"cen16868" wrote in
message ...

[...]

Thanks for all of your help! Formula's working great! MSR