-   -   word lookup (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-worksheet-functions/5959-word-lookup.html)

ivanov_nv

word lookup

Hi guys! I need some help with the following:

I have this excel file with many lines of customer date. every line has
a long description field. I need to identify if the description field
contains any of the following words: computer, mouse, keyboard and if
any of them appears to return 1 in another column. If let's say two of
the words appear in the same description, I still need to see 1. The
reason is for me to identify only individuals that have been hurt by
these. can you give me the formula that will do this?

--
ivanov_nv
ivanov_nv's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=16229

N Harkawat

Create a named list for all your key words like computer, mouse, keyboard
Assuming the name of the list is "clist" and the cell containing the text is
on A1 use the following formula
=IF(ISNA(MATCH(1,COUNTIF(A1,"*"&clist&"*"),0)),"", 1)
and Array enter it (press CTRL+Shift+Enter)
Copy this formula across