-   -   Splitting the contents of a cell? (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-worksheet-functions/59551-splitting-contents-cell.html)

Dan B

Splitting the contents of a cell?

Hi,

I have several columns of data that contain data such as:3001001E:Name

I want to keep what is on the right side of the colon. How could I do this
with a function?

Thanks.

vezerid

Splitting the contents of a cell?

Dan,
try the following formula, which assumes that your text is in A1.
MID(A1, FIND(":", A1)+1, LEN(A1)

HTH
Kostis Vezerides

Ron Coderre

Splitting the contents of a cell?

For 3001001E:Name in Cell A1
B1: =RIGHT(A1,LEN(A1)-(SEARCH(":",A1)))

Does that help?

***********
Regards,
Ron

"Dan B" wrote:

Hi,

I have several columns of data that contain data such as:3001001E:Name

I want to keep what is on the right side of the colon. How could I do this
with a function?

Thanks.

Dan B

Splitting the contents of a cell?

That worked perfectly. I would like to understand the logic behind that
function. If you get a minute, could you give me a quick explanation.

Thank you so much!!

"vezerid" wrote in message
oups.com...
Dan,
try the following formula, which assumes that your text is in A1.
MID(A1, FIND(":", A1)+1, LEN(A1)

HTH
Kostis Vezerides

Dan B

Splitting the contents of a cell?

that one worked too. I wish I understood how. Very cool though.
Thanks!!

"Ron Coderre" wrote in message
For 3001001E:Name in Cell A1
B1: =RIGHT(A1,LEN(A1)-(SEARCH(":",A1)))