-   -   RATIO number format (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-worksheet-functions/58853-ratio-number-format.html)

Jane

RATIO number format

I want my result to be expressed as a ratio:

4:1

thank you, jane

Niek Otten

RATIO number format

Hi Jane,

=SUBSTITUTE(TEXT(A1,"?/?"),"/",":")

--
Kind regards,

Niek Otten

"Jane" wrote in message
I want my result to be expressed as a ratio:

4:1

thank you, jane

Jane

RATIO number format

Thank you Niek!

now how would I fit that in if in my cell I have a formula? in cell K6, I
have a simple formula ... =M9/M8. it's the result that I need as stated
below.

I do appreciate your help!

"Niek Otten" wrote:

Hi Jane,

=SUBSTITUTE(TEXT(A1,"?/?"),"/",":")

--
Kind regards,

Niek Otten

"Jane" wrote in message
I want my result to be expressed as a ratio:

4:1

thank you, jane

Jane

RATIO number format

I got it myself!
THANK YOU AGAIN!

"Niek Otten" wrote:

Hi Jane,

=SUBSTITUTE(TEXT(A1,"?/?"),"/",":")

--
Kind regards,

Niek Otten

"Jane" wrote in message
I want my result to be expressed as a ratio:

4:1

thank you, jane

Jane

RATIO number format

Hi Neik,
another question if I may as I have not had to work with ratios in this
manner and do not know the standard in which they are expressed------

here is my actual formula and results:
cell K4 contains "# of Tops"
cell k5 contains "# of Pants"
=SUBSTITUTE(TEXT(K4/K5,"?/?"),"/",":") results = 15:7
=SUBSTITUTE(TEXT(K5/K4,"?/?"),"/",":") results = 1:2

Since I want to find the ratio of Tops to Bottoms, I expected to see 2:1,
not 15/7. The people that will be using this spreadsheet will also expect
2:1 and will not be happy with 1:2.
Suggestion?
"Niek Otten" wrote:

Hi Jane,

=SUBSTITUTE(TEXT(A1,"?/?"),"/",":")

--
Kind regards,

Niek Otten

"Jane" wrote in message
I want my result to be expressed as a ratio:

4:1

thank you, jane

Roger Govier

RATIO number format

Hi Jane

If the value is just for display, and is not to be used for further
calculation then you could use
=ROUND(K4/K5,0)&":1"

If you want to use the values in further calculation, then just use =K4/K5
but format the cell
FormatCellsNumberCustomGeneral":1"
which would result in 2.1429:1

or format as #":1" which would result in 2:1

Regards

Roger Govier

Jane wrote:
Hi Neik,
another question if I may as I have not had to work with ratios in this
manner and do not know the standard in which they are expressed------

here is my actual formula and results:
cell K4 contains "# of Tops"
cell k5 contains "# of Pants"
=SUBSTITUTE(TEXT(K4/K5,"?/?"),"/",":") results = 15:7
=SUBSTITUTE(TEXT(K5/K4,"?/?"),"/",":") results = 1:2

Since I want to find the ratio of Tops to Bottoms, I expected to see 2:1,
not 15/7. The people that will be using this spreadsheet will also expect
2:1 and will not be happy with 1:2.
Suggestion?
"Niek Otten" wrote:

Hi Jane,

=SUBSTITUTE(TEXT(A1,"?/?"),"/",":")

--
Kind regards,

Niek Otten

"Jane" wrote in message

I want my result to be expressed as a ratio:

4:1

thank you, jane

Jane

RATIO number format

this also worked very well Roger!
thank you!

Jane wrote:
Hi Neik,
another question if I may as I have not had to work with ratios in this
manner and do not know the standard in which they are expressed------

here is my actual formula and results:
cell K4 contains "# of Tops"
cell k5 contains "# of Pants"
=SUBSTITUTE(TEXT(K4/K5,"?/?"),"/",":") results = 15:7
=SUBSTITUTE(TEXT(K5/K4,"?/?"),"/",":") results = 1:2

Since I want to find the ratio of Tops to Bottoms, I expected to see 2:1,
not 15/7. The people that will be using this spreadsheet will also expect
2:1 and will not be happy with 1:2.
Suggestion?
"Niek Otten" wrote:

Hi Jane,