-   -   IF function displays wrong amount (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-worksheet-functions/5803-if-function-displays-wrong-amount.html)

JAnderson

IF function displays wrong amount

Hello all,
I have an IF function to calculate Federal Tax. In the Function Arguments
Dialog Box the logical test = True, and the Value_if_true = 303.7605, which is
what I want. The Value_if_false = 0, which is also what I want. The formula
result in the bottom left of the dialog box however = 607.52. Double what it
should be. I have uploaded a screenshot here http://home.earthlink.net/~janderson3/
Any suggestions as to what I'm doing wrong would be appreciated.
Thanks in advance.
J Anderson

duane

well.......the result of the if function is 303.whatever, but that is
added to the first part of the formula........I think you need to
remove everything between the "=" and the "if"

--
duane

duane's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=11624
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=275765

Myrna Larson

Look at your formula a bit harder. Before you even get to the IF test, you
calculate this amount and add it to the result of the IF test.

On 5 Nov 2004 12:36:15 -0800, (JAnderson) wrote:

Hello all,
I have an IF function to calculate Federal Tax. In the Function Arguments
Dialog Box the logical test = True, and the Value_if_true = 303.7605, which

is
what I want. The Value_if_false = 0, which is also what I want. The formula
result in the bottom left of the dialog box however = 607.52. Double what it
should be. I have uploaded a screenshot here

http://home.earthlink.net/~janderson3/
Any suggestions as to what I'm doing wrong would be appreciated.
Thanks in advance.
J Anderson

Tom Hayakawa

J,

Looks to me like you're performing the calculation twice:

=20%*(F4-D4*38.46) gives you 303.76
and
+IF(F4-D4*38.46)0,(F4-D4*38.46)*.2,0)

resolves to give you the same amount again, the two of which are then added
together.

Good luck,
Tom Hayakawa

"JAnderson" wrote:

Hello all,
I have an IF function to calculate Federal Tax. In the Function Arguments
Dialog Box the logical test = True, and the Value_if_true = 303.7605, which is
what I want. The Value_if_false = 0, which is also what I want. The formula
result in the bottom left of the dialog box however = 607.52. Double what it
should be. I have uploaded a screenshot here http://home.earthlink.net/~janderson3/
Any suggestions as to what I'm doing wrong would be appreciated.
Thanks in advance.
J Anderson

James Anderson

Thank you all. it was right in front of my face and I couldn't see it.
Cheers
om...