-   -   conditional formatting using contains (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-worksheet-functions/57661-conditional-formatting-using-contains.html)

nic4asu

conditional formatting using contains

Can I specify a formula where I highlight the entire row if one cell contains
the word "auto-renew"?

Bernie Deitrick

conditional formatting using contains

Select all the cells (click above and to the left of cell A1), and then
choose Format / CF... use "Formula is" and the formula

=COUNTIF(1:1,"*auto-renew*")0

and set your formatting as desired.

HTH,
Bernie
MS Excel MVP

"nic4asu" wrote in message
Can I specify a formula where I highlight the entire row if one cell
contains
the word "auto-renew"?

B. R.Ramachandran

conditional formatting using contains

Hi,

The Conditional-Formatting formula you have to use depends on where the word
"auto-renew" can occur in the spreadsheet.

Let us imagine that the data are in columns A:E and rows 2:101 (i.e., the
data range is A2:E101). Select the entire data-range (STARTING with A2), and
use one of the following CF formulas depending on the scenario.

If the word "auto-renew" can occur in one or more cells in ONLY ONE column
(say Column A) and you want to highlight the corresponding rows, the formula
is,

=$A2="auto-renew"

If, on the other hand, the word can occur in one or more cells ANYWHERE in
the spread-sheet and you want to highlight the corresponding rows, the
formula is,

=ISNUMBER(MATCH("auto-renew",$A2:$E2,0))

Regards,
B. R. Ramachandran