-   -   Counting Data in a Column (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-worksheet-functions/57281-counting-data-column.html)

Francis

Counting Data in a Column

Hello all,

I am working on a spread sheet that has various columns of text. In each
column, it is important to note that there will be some duplicate data.
Under each column, I would like to have excel "summarize" the data. Consider
the following example:

column 1 column 2
-------------------------
A X
A Y
B Y
C X
B Z
A Y

Totals
------------------------
A 3 X 2
B 2 Y 3
C 1 Z 1

(I hope this formatting is posted correctly!)

As shown above, I would like to have excel sum the duplicate entries of each
column below. Is there anyway to do this? Thanks in advance!

Francis

Bob Phillips

Counting Data in a Column

=COUNTIF(A:A,"A")+COUNTIF(B:B,"A")