-   -   Lookup type formula (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-worksheet-functions/56701-lookup-type-formula.html)

Lee Harris

Lookup type formula

If I have an array of data and in Col J I have salaries, and col I have
names, how can I express a formula somewhere else, say cell R10, I want to
look through the salaries, find the highest, and identify the person with
that salary

I'm thinking some way of identifying the row that has the highest value in a
column and use that as an offset from $I$1 but am not sure how to do that
properly

cheers!

Max

Lookup type formula

One way, assuming no ties in highest salary in col J
Put in R10: =INDEX(I:I,MATCH(MAX(J:J),J:J,0))
--
Rgds
Max