Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Matt M HMS

Default Trim Function

Hello and thanks in advance -

I have a column of room numbers with [alphas] mixed in as seen below.

100
101D
103F
104
1004E

Note that the numeric values are sometimes in the thousand range. I need to
create a column B where the numeric value of the room number will be split up
from column C, the alpha, as below;

A B C
100 100
101D 101 D
103F 103 F
104 104
1004E 1004 E

Matt
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Lotus123

Assuming the Alpha is always one character and always either absent or
located on the right...here you go:

If you value is in Column A, place this in ColumnB (strip the digits):
+VALUE(IF(ISNUMBER(A1),A1,LEFT(A1,LEN(A1)-1)))

Place this in Column C (snag the character):
+IF(ISNUMBER(A1),"",RIGHT(A1,1))

This can be modified even more for situations in which the letter
appears at the beginning or if there are two letters; however, I didn't
want to make the forumla unduely complicated on the first run.

--
Lotus123
Lotus123's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=28611

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Dave Breitenbach

If there is always only one letter as the alpha, then the following formulas
will work:
[b1]=IF(ISNUMBER(A1),A1,LEFT(A1,LEN(A1)-1))
[c1]=IF(ISNUMBER(A1),"",RIGHT(A1,1))

However, if any of your values have spaces at the end, then the data will
have to be trimmed first - simply trim(a1) and then adjust the other formulas
to link to the trimmed version of the data column.

If the alpha can be more than one character then it can probably still be
done but more info will be needed on the rules that the alphas follow...i.e
when is there more than one character, etc.

hth,
Dave

"Matt M HMS" wrote:

Hello and thanks in advance -

I have a column of room numbers with [alphas] mixed in as seen below.

100
101D
103F
104
1004E

Note that the numeric values are sometimes in the thousand range. I need to
create a column B where the numeric value of the room number will be split up
from column C, the alpha, as below;

A B C
100 100
101D 101 D
103F 103 F
104 104
1004E 1004 E

Matt

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Bob Phillips

In B1, use

=LEFT(A1,MIN(IF(ISERROR(1*(MID(A1,ROW(INDIRECT("A1 :A"&LEN(A1))),1))),ROW(IND
IRECT("A1:A"&LEN(A1))),255))-1)

which is an array formula, so commit with Ctrl-Shift-Enter

In C1,

=SUBSTITUTE(A1,B1,"")

and copy doen

--

HTH

RP

"Matt M HMS" <Matt M wrote in message
Hello and thanks in advance -

I have a column of room numbers with [alphas] mixed in as seen below.

100
101D
103F
104
1004E

Note that the numeric values are sometimes in the thousand range. I need

create a column B where the numeric value of the room number will be split

up
from column C, the alpha, as below;

A B C
100 100
101D 101 D
103F 103 F
104 104
1004E 1004 E

Matt

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Peo Sjoblom

=SUBSTITUTE(A2,C,"")

assuming you have the valuse in C, if you want to get the numbers without
using column C

=IF(ISERR(--(A1)),LEFT(A1,MATCH(FALSE,ISNUMBER(--MID(A1,ROW(INDIRECT("1:"&LE
N(A1))),1)),0)-1),A1)

entered with ctrl + shift & enter

assuming all numbers are to the left of the letter

Peo Sjoblom

Date & Time mully New Users to Excel 4 May 23rd 05 11:56 AM
Hyperlinks using R[1]C[1] and offset function in its cell referenc Elijah-Dadda Excel Worksheet Functions 0 March 5th 05 04:31 AM
Conversion SVC Excel Worksheet Functions 9 February 28th 05 03:29 PM
HOW CAN I GET OFFICE 2003 EXCEL BASIC TO NEST FUNCTIONS LIKE EXCE. Robert AS Excel Worksheet Functions 4 December 2nd 04 11:49 AM
Find a Function to use accross different worksheets R. Hale Excel Worksheet Functions 3 November 25th 04 08:07 AM