-   -   vlookup (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-worksheet-functions/56261-vlookup.html)

HGJ

vlookup

I received an excel sheet from my co-worker which has VLOOKUP function, the
lookup range in a different file.
I received only the file with the function VLOOKUP but not the link file but
the function works. When I change the value it shows the right look up value
how is it possible.

Elkar

vlookup

Are you both on the same network? My guess would be that the VLOOKUP is
referring to a file that you both have access to.

"HGJ" wrote:

I received an excel sheet from my co-worker which has VLOOKUP function, the
lookup range in a different file.
I received only the file with the function VLOOKUP but not the link file but
the function works. When I change the value it shows the right look up value
how is it possible.

Lotus123

vlookup

If I interpret your question correctly, it sounds like Excel has stored
the most recent values from the third-person file in the current file
you are using. This is one of the reasons using vlookup will bloat the
size of your Excel file. Not sure if that was the answer you were
looking for.

--
Lotus123
Lotus123's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=28611

HGJ

vlookup

I am not in same network, I did not know that Excelstors the most recent
values from the third-person file.
can excel can have an Embedded file for look up.