-   -   how do I count the number of times text in column A matches text i (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-worksheet-functions/55845-how-do-i-count-number-times-text-column-matches-text-i.html)

Sheila

how do I count the number of times text in column A matches text i

I'm trying to count the number of times text in one column, say, A matches
text in another column, say, B. So, if A1=B1, count = 1, then if A2=B2,
count = 2, for the whole of both columns.

Bob Phillips

how do I count the number of times text in column A matches text i

=sumproduct(--(A1:A100=B1:B100))

--

HTH

RP

"Sheila" wrote in message
I'm trying to count the number of times text in one column, say, A matches
text in another column, say, B. So, if A1=B1, count = 1, then if A2=B2,
count = 2, for the whole of both columns.

MDBCT

how do I count the number of times text in column A matches text i

You can use:
{=SUM(IF(A1:A3=B1:B3,1,0))}

This is an array formula, so don't type in the {}, use Ctrl+Sift+Enter to
confirm(not just enter) the formula.