-   -   Selecting the i-th element from a range (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-worksheet-functions/55742-selecting-i-th-element-range.html)

[email protected]

Selecting the i-th element from a range

Seems like this should be straightforward but I just don't know how.
Given the following setup:

A B C D E
1 | -2 0 -3 -1

is there a formula that lets me choose the 2nd element from *range*
A1:D1? I am using MATCH() to get the position I am interested in.

Thanks!

Ron Rosenfeld

On 16 Nov 2005 07:01:46 -0800, wrote:

Seems like this should be straightforward but I just don't know how.
Given the following setup:

A B C D E
1 | -2 0 -3 -1

is there a formula that lets me choose the 2nd element from *range*
A1:D1? I am using MATCH() to get the position I am interested in.

Thanks!

--ron

[email protected]

Selecting the i-th element from a range

Looking at answers to earlier questions, just realised the answer to
this one is:

=INDEX(A1:D1,2)

which would return the second item from this list. The second argument
is typically the result of a MATCH() operation.