-   -   Find a character to sort on in an Excel cell if not the 1st charac (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-worksheet-functions/55114-find-character-sort-excel-cell-if-not-1st-charac.html)

drrons

Find a character to sort on in an Excel cell if not the 1st charac

My Excel files contain identifying words or symbols in a column. How can I
sort to bring the desired rows to the top if the charcater or word is not the
first one on the cell? I use Microsoft Office 2003 on XP.

Bernie Deitrick

Find a character to sort on in an Excel cell if not the 1st charac

Use a helper column of formulas that look for your words or symbols, and
then sort both columns based on the results of the formula.

HTH,
Bernie
MS Excel MVP